Related Case Studies
- Report shows that nearly 5,800 hate crime cases were reported to the police in 2010
- A total of 3,536 hate crime complaints were submitted to the Swedish police in 2007
- Report about discrimination and racism against Somalis in Sweden
- Afrophobic staged 'slave auction’ at a University student party with a ‘jungle’ theme.
- Police warns immigrants of becoming victims of violence in southern Sweden
- District Court ruling indirect discrimination to forbid head scarves during exercise at a sport club
- Afrophobic and Islamophobic physical violence against a Somali woman and her children
Racist Incident [operational definition adopted by RED Network partners]
is any incident where the balance of the available data /evidence would suggest a racist motive.
in Britain the Macpherson Inquiry (1999) gave a definition of what constitutes a racist incident:
"A racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person."
This definition is now used in all official data collection in Britain, though it is not immune to criticism and misinterpretation.
Racist crime, harassment and violence are especially serious (criminal) variants of a racist incident.